Around The Country
- Las Vegas police arrest person in connection with Tupac Shakur murder investigationA Nevada man, believed to be the last living suspect investigated in the 1996 slaying of Tupac Shakur, was arrested Friday in connection with the long-unsolved case, officials said.
- Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen warns of economic perils of government shutdownTreasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Friday warned that economic progress could be negatively impacted by a government shutdown through the halting of key programs for small businesses and children. Yellen, speaking at the Port of Savannah in Georgia, urged Republicans in the House to adhere to a budget deal agreed to in May in order … Read more
- Government Shutdown: McCarthy’s Temporary Spending Bill Fails to Pass the House – The New York TimesGovernment Shutdown: McCarthy’s Temporary Spending Bill Fails to Pass the House The New York Times Live updates: Government shutdown nears as US braces for impacts CNN 4 Texas Republicans join ultraconservatives to sink GOP attempt to keep federal government open The Texas Tribune GOP rebels, Dems sink House stopgap funding bill less than 48 hours before likely government … Read more
- Human progress has come at the expense of animals. It doesn’t have to.Several newly hatched chicks are crammed together in metal drawers inside an incubator at a hatchery in Poland. | Andrew Skowron/We Animals Media Add in the extreme suffering of tens of billions of farmed animals, and suddenly the world looks like a much darker place. If there’s one idea that forms the foundation of Future … Read more
- Damian Lillard traded to Bucks in blockbuster three-team deal with SunsDeandre Ayton is headed to Portland, while Jrue Holiday is headed to Portland.
- Schumer declines to say whether Menendez should resign amid federal bribery chargesSenate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., declined to say whether Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N.J., should resign from his position Wednesday afternoon, as the senator and his wife face federal corruption and bribery charges. “Tomorrow he will address our caucus, and we’ll see what will happen after that,” Schumer said. Schumer said he was “deeply disappointed” … Read more
- New York judge finds Donald Trump liable for fraud – CNNNew York judge finds Donald Trump liable for fraud CNN New York judge rules Trump committed fraud while building real estate empire Fox News ‘Devastating’: Trump suffers potentially catastrophic loss in court; Judge ‘furious’ MSNBC Opinion | The Fraud Ruling Against Trump The New York Times Trump fraud verdict: What does the New York ruling mean? The Christian Science Monitor